Pop music is a genre of popular music originated in the United States and United Kingdom during the mid-1950s. The beat and the melodies tend to be simple, with limited harmonic accompaniment. Pop may include elements of rock, hip hop, reggae, dance, R&B, jazz, electronic, and sometimes folk music and various other styles.
Examples of Standard Rhythm drum tracks fitting Pop Songs.
- Billy Jean (Michale Jackson) – 117 BPM
- I’m a Believer (The Monkeys) – 160 BPM
- Sugar, sugar (The Archies) – 120 BPM
- Respect (Aretha Franklin) – 116 BPM
- Help (The Beatles) – 192 BPM
- Dreams (Fleetwood Mac) – 120 BPM
Rock music has its roots in 1940s and 1950s rock and roll, a style which drew heavily on the African-American genres of blues and rhythm and blues, and also country music. Chuck Berry, a black man playing black music, invented rock and roll in 1955. Normally, rock is usually based in a 4/4 time signature.